POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations : General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations
From: LibraryMan
Date: 21 Nov 2002 15:32:32
Message: <3DDD4043.CD432E69@att.net>
I have an object which I created two versions of, which look quite
similar.  I had read somewhere on this group that in general, CSG
difference takes more time to trace than union.  But when I rendered the
two "versions" of the object in question ( a section of arcade from yet
another Gothic cathedral scene) the version with lots of difference's
rendered faster than the version that was all unioning and translating.

To clarify:
Version 1 was a single large box object with a stone texture, and lots
of long narrow cylinders differenced from the visible surface to
simulate the look of the wall being built from individual blocks of
stone, like so:

_________________
|___|___|___|___
__|___|___|___|__

Version two was built from iterations of the actual individual block of
stone, translated to achieve the "staggered" look.

Why might this have happened? It seems contrary to my initial assumption
(which admittedly might have been in error...)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
"Library Man"